Sunday, January 11, 2015

Pay it UP?

Anyone who's been to Costco on a Sunday knows that it can be a little crazy....oh who am I kidding? It's a frigging NIGHTMARE! From the moment one pulls into the parking lot, chaos ensues. If you're not battling for a spot, you're waiting for one while the driver contemplates, "to put on my full face of make-up or just lip gloss?" or "to smoke this entire cigarette or should I just light it?" before backing out.
You shop, you get what you need, a few added bonuses of what you don't need, you eat a meal in samples alone...and then you hit the lines. The lines are nuts. I gave up on correlating the shortest line  with the quickest escape plan a long time ago.  In fact, I'm pretty sure it was Murphy himself you said, "If you choose the shortest line - the person at the front will forget their ID AND be a dreaded check writer, will have forgotten something at the back of the store, or insist on debating with the cashier that their coupon is really worth a $1.50, not just $1." In other words, their is no quick way out of Costco. Admit, accept, and move forward.

Speaking of moving forward....Today my PIC (partner in crime) and I chose a mediocre line. A few families in front of us. The family directly in front of us had 1 bag of chips. We moved through the entire line and were just about to put our items on the conveyer belt when the perceived father of this family, rolled up only to squeeze his cart in between us and the conveyor belt and proceeded to unload about 30 items. It was such deception! Such a trick. We were bamboozled!
I must admit we were slightly irritated but instead of starting a fight, we just chuckled and shook our heads. "Rise above" was the silent agreed upon consensus and so we did.  Despite these high-school-cafeteria-cutters, we were able to get  in and out of Costco in a reasonable amount of time and get this: Our day went on and we were just fine.

The follow up to Costco found us at our local Von's for the little items. We had a cart full and when we got in line, I noticed the older gentleman behind us had so few items, he didn't even have a hand basket much less a cart. He had but one jar of spice in his hand. Who was I to not excuse him to go in front of us and let him get on with his evening? It wasn't until he tipped his imaginary hat at us as he skipped out the door, that I realized how the day's events of line waiting had come full circle.

I'm still not convinced letting the old guy go in front of us was an act of Pay it Forward,  but rather just common courtesy. While in the moment at Costco, I was irritated and dismayed at the lack of such courtesy, but not enough so that I lost it within myself. I think it's important that we don't allow other's actions to bring us down. We should always focus on being good. On being better. On Paying it UP.

...and her life was Simply wonderful
All my very best,
Emily

Followers